Oakway Fire Department History
Oconee County Rural fire Control Commission was appointed September 1, 1961.
Oakway Community was the first rural community to erect a Fire Station and secure a fire truck under the new Rural fire Control Program. This station depends totally on volunteer members of the community.
On November 12, 1961 the Oakway Farmers Club voted to sponsor and supplement funds needed in excess of donations from the community for the construction of a Fire Station, the president of the farmers club then appointed an advisory committee.
On January 15, 1962, the county Fire Commission approved the site for the new Oakway Fire Station.
On March 10, 1962, the farmers club received pledges amounting to $450.00, at this time, the Building committee authorized the start of construction of the fire station immediately. This construction was completed in July of 1962, at a cost of $2500.00, not including the free labor from the community.
On September 12, 1962, the president and chaplain of the farmers club drove the first fire truck from Roanoke Virginia to the fire station.
On September 15, 1962, Open House was held
By donations and the cooperation of the Oakway community and other interested citizens through the County, the fire department was able to purchase a helper truck and equipment suitable to carry an additional 1000 gallons of water. The tank for this truck was donated by an Oil Company from Seneca SC.
Oakway Fire Department received the first fire call on November 9, 1962. The fire was in Salem SC.
This information was obtained from the original minutes of the Oakway Fire Department.
© 2022 Oakway Fire Department